Radiation Therapy at St. Francis: Why Choose Us?
At St. Francis Medical Center, our highly trained radiation therapy experts (radiation oncologists) deliver comprehensive cancer care with effective radiation treatment. Radiation therapy treats cancer with the help of special technology and high-energy X-rays. We first pinpoint the precise location and shape of the tumor. Then, focused beams of high-energy X-rays break up and destroy the cancer cells.
Our expertise from treating more than 500 new cancer patients a year translates to an exceptional level of care, giving you the best possible chances for successful treatment.
Highlights of our program include:
- Expertise: Our radiation oncologists have extensive experience treating cancer with radiation therapy. This depth of expertise helps us recommend the therapies that are best for you based on the size and location of the tumor as well as your personal preferences.
- Advanced care for difficult tumors: We offer advanced treatments, including intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT). This treatment safely delivers large doses of radiation with a high level of precision. We use IMRT for tumors in difficult-to-reach areas or those that are tangled with healthy tissue or vital organs.
- Safety: Your safety is at the center of everything we do. We meticulously plan every treatment to focus radiation beams on the tumor while protecting healthy normal tissue.
- Accuracy: Whenever necessary, we use additional imaging technologies, including an ultrasound-based targeting system (BAT), to pinpoint tumors before each treatment. This is especially helpful for cancers such as prostate cancer where the tumor location may shift on a regular basis. The BAT system provides real-time images that help us fine-tune radiation beams to ensure the accuracy of each treatment.
- Team approach: The radiation therapy team includes physicians, therapists, nurses and physicists who work together to tailor your treatments. This approach means that you receive care based on the recommendations of multiple experts. We also work with other St. Francis cancer care experts, including surgeons and oncologists, to coordinate any additional treatments you may need.
- Support: Our team also includes nurses, specialists and chaplains whose goal is to help make your life a little less stressful during cancer treatment. Whether you need emotional support, help with insurance coverage or help keeping track of the next steps in your care, we are here to help. Learn more about pastoral and spiritual care services.
Contact us at 310.900.2760 to learn more about the services we offer or to make an appointment.